Saturday, January 17, 2009

neverending netflix queue - the muppet show

The one thing I actually enjoy about this frigid weather is the excuse to stay in, curl up on your couch and totally veg. This evening, for my vegging out entertainment - The Muppet Show Season 3 on DVD.



Now of course I remember watching the Muppet Show as a kid, and always enjoying it. But as I watch these DVDs, I can't help but think of what the show would be like if it were on now. FIrst of all, what kind of celebrities would be the guest hosts? As I watch these eps, even me, who I consider to have a higher then average pop culture IQ, only knows who 1/3 of these celebs are. GIlda Radnor, Steve Martin, Liberace, Raquel Welch - of course I know em. Leo Sayer? Marisa Berenson? Spike Milligan? I have no clue.

Obviously the modern day Muppet Show hosts need a sense of humor. I'm thinking you'd be pulling from the same pool as SNL - Justin Timberlake, Steve Carrell, Peyton Manning? These would be awesome hosts.

On a Peyton aside, I don't care how much I hate the Colts, I find him hilarious in those MasterCard commercials - esp this one:



Also, this is one of my fav SNL skits:



But back to the Muppets. Disney owns the Muppet franchise, so you know the hosts would be like annoying ass Miley Cyrus, or the Jonas Brothers. Or, if the latest made for TV Muppet movies are any indication, we could have a real mixed bag. Case in point, the latest Muppet Xmas special had Uma Thurman, Nathan Lane, and Pauly Walnuts from the Sopranos. I mean Uma is a big name, as is Nathan Lane, but neither has been in much lately. So what do y'all think? Leave thoughts in the comments...

No comments: