Thursday, December 4, 2008

its 3D!

I've seen exactly 2 movies in 3-D, and both were an, um, interesting experience

1. Jaws 3 (aka the one where Jaws gets into Sea World): I've never watched it with the appropriate 3D shades, but all I know is that when they re-run this on TV, the 3D parts look horrible. Not even the fact that Dennis Quaid and the mom from "My So-Called Life" are in it can save the situation.



2. Captain EO : the Michael Jackson 3D movie that they used to show at Epcot Center at Disney World. I remember being 8 the first time I saw this, and the 3D gave me motion-sickness and my dad had to take me out of the theater. BTW, can you believe Francis Ford Coppola directed this garbage?



Granted, both these movies came out in the early to mid 80's, so the quality isn't going to be the best. But this is what I have in my head when I think of "3D".

So when I read today in the Sun that they are going to start broadcasting football games in 3D, I definitely had mixed reactions. If its done well, it could totally enhance the football watching experience. If its not, well then it could just be a distraction from the game.

Someday soon, that long pass downfield by Joe Flacco will appear so close that you might be tempted to reach for it from your easy chair. Or the pass rusher swarming the Ravens quarterback will seem so real that you'll be ducking along with Flacco.

That kind of visceral, "you are there" fan experience is the promise of three-dimensional broadcasting of sporting events, a promise that might begin to see fruition tonight when the Oakland Raiders play the Chargers in San Diego.

For the first time, an NFL game will be broadcast live in 3-D, and that version will be shown to invited audiences in New York, Boston and Los Angeles. Eight digital 3-D cameras will capture the action, and the signal will be transmitted to theaters where the game will be shown on 3-D enabled movie screens and similarly equipped big-screen monitors.
Read the full article Baltimore Sun article here

So what do you think? Sports in 3D - good or bad? Leave your thoughts in the comments.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I totally saw Captain EO at Epcot. I remember reaching out to catch the little fury creature at the end and being so upset that I couldn't grab it. HA!