Sunday, December 21, 2008

um wow.

So I'm sitting here on my couch watching SportsCenter, waiting for NFL Countdown to start (a pretty typical Sunday AM for me) and then the most ridiculous commercial came on. Let me describe.

First a shot of the logo for the movie Valkyrie with its release date. Um OK. I have issues with this flick, but more on that later. So then the commercial's Stuart Scott voiceover goes on to talk about Indiana basketball player Dan Dakich. He had to defend Michael Jordan in his last college game for UNC - the 1984 eastern semi-final. Even though Dakich had the flu, his defense held Jordan to 6 for 14 shooting. I'm thinking, wow, thats pretty interesting. I had not known that. Talk of David and Goliath, blah blah. How inspirational! And then the kicker. The commercial wraps with this line:

"Many saw greatness, Dan Dakich dared to stop it."

So here is where they tie in the Valkyrie promotion. Ah Dan Dakich is like Tom Cruise's character in the movie! One problem, that means YOU JUST COMPARED MICHAEL JORDAN TO HITLER!!!


Now I've heard Michael Jordan can be kind of a dick when you meet him in person, but I'm pretty damn sure The Great One never committed mass genocide. He was too busy winning 6 NBA championships, winning 5 NBA MVPs, being a 14 time NBA all-star, and most importantly making Space Jam.


OK, now a quick aside about Valkyrie. I've seen the full preview for this movie about 3 times in the last 2 months. And this is my big issue - Tom Cruise speaks with an American accent, everyone else in the movie has a German or Austrian accent. Now I know, technically the fact they're speaking English at all is incorrect. But I get that a flick with sub-titles won't draw in the crowds they want. Fine. And I get that Tom is the "STAR" and if he can't do an accent, then they won't make him. But if he's using no accent, shouldn't NOONE do the accent? So there is at least consistency? I mean COME ON! Next point: who legitimately is going to see a movie about Hitler on Christmas Day? And we all know how it ends - he doesn't even die! I mean its not even a feel-good ending. WTF Tom Cruise?

No comments: